By Selina Gentrix – Special AFIO
Want to get away? Take a breakaway from the usual daily routines and get away from the crowded and noisy busy streets? A home away from? Think no more Africa is the place to be. A land of versified wilderness, a continent that boasts of some world’s most untouched beaches….untapped beauty. It is a home of paradisiacal stretches of sand and water either by oceans or lakes. When you think of Africa don’t just think of Safaris, beaches should not miss on your bucket list!
There are so many beaches in Africa but today I will mention a few that are termed as best in Africa;
- NUNGWI, ZANZIBAR TANZANIA; best for photography because of its beautiful scenery, also good for food enthusiast and also snorkeling. Best times to visit are June to September.
- BEYIN BEACH GHANA; Ideal for nature and relaxation, best time to visit is March to October.
- CHITIMBA MALAWI; It is known for nature’s drama and is ideal for those looking for something absolute offbeat. Best times to visit are May to late October.
- ANSE SOURCE D’ARGENT,LA DIGUE, SEYCHELLES; There is no best time to visit here because all time of the year is best, fun activities there include beach hopping, and cycling around.
- CAMP’S BAY BEACH, CAPS BAY, SOUTH AFRICA; It is Cape town’s favourite beach, known for its exquisite cafes and bars, peak months are from December to February.
- WATAMU KENYA; It stands out because of beautiful coral creations, ideal for diving and snorkeling, peak months are from July to October.
- DIANI BEACH KENYA; This is a zoo cum beach, stands out because of its uniqueness and also local art shopping (decorations, wall hangings, beaded accessories etc) best time of the year to visit is June to October.
- PRAIA DE SANTA MARIA, SANTA MARIA CAPE VADE; Its uniqueness lie in its warm waters, those who have been there call it a paradisiacal beach, fun activities here include leisure, resort and wind surfing. There is no specific time to visit, it is booming all year round.
- CLIFTON BEACHES,CAPE TOWN CENTRAL SOUTH AFRICA; I would recommend this to honeymooners because its known for privacy and tranquility. Best times to visit are December to May.
- BELLE MARE, MAURITIUS; Stands out because of blue galore, ideal for leisure and relaxation, best times are May to December.
- NAKUPENDA BEACH, STONE TOWN TANZANIA; “Nakupenda” is a Swahili word meaning “I love you”. This explains the friendliness of the beach and its environment. It is ideal for snorkeling romance and swimming.